Career Highlights - 2000
- At Australian Open lost to Agassi in thrilling five-setter semifinal match 1-6 in the fifth. Sustained hip flexor injury during the match which caused him to pull out of the inaugural Davis Cup tie vs Zimbabwe. John McEnroe DC Captain publicly voiced his disappointment at Pete's absence in Harare, Zimbabwe. Pete rejoined the team in the QF tie vs Czech Republic and won the deciding match for the United States.
- Won the Ericsson Open, defeating Hewitt and Kuerten on the way.
- Another disappointing season on clay. Lost in early rounds at TMS Hamburg and at the World Team Cup in Dusseldorff.
- Pete drew dangerous floater Mark Philippoussis in the first round of the French Open where he went down in five tough sets, losing 6-8 in the fifth.
- In June, announced his engagement to actress Bridgette Wilson.
- For the seventh straight year Pete was seeded #1 at Wimbledon and goes on to win it all with his record-breaking 13th Grand Slam in a magical moment at the All England. He overcame the acute tendonitis to his shin that he sustained in his 2nd round match against Karol Kucera to defeat Patrick Rafter in four sets, raising the trophy under th lights and heading into the crowds to hug his parents in an emotionally charged moment. "With everything that happened, I would say this is one of my best moments. These two weeks were the most difficult and the most satisfying. The fact that my parents were here, it was a great script and it worked out well for me," said Pete.
- Lost to Marat Safin in quarters of TMS Canada and failed to defend his Cincinnati title by losing to Tim Henman.
- After defeating long time tennis foe Richard Krajiceck in the quarters and posting a win over the feisty Aussie, Lleyton Hewitt, in the semis, a tired Pete lost in the US Open finals to up-and-comer Marat Safin in straight sets.
- Married Bridgette on September 30th
- Withdrew from all post-US Open tournaments till the end of the year Tennis Masters Cup in Lisbon. Lost in semi-finals to Kuerten who gained number one ranking.
- Honoured as GQ Man of the Year in the Individual Athlete category.
- Won ESPY award for Tennis Player of the Decade.
- Played 13 tournaments and posted 41-12 win-loss record.
- "A year of injuries in the midst of glory"
- Injury to hip flexor after semifinal match in Australian Open
- Strained back ligament in early March
- Quad injury sustained during Davis Cup match against Slava Dosedel
- Suffered acute tendonitis in his shin during Wimbledon.
- Ended the year ranked no. 3
Information compiled by Dalia King
More Career Highlights
Back to Bio & Career mainpage