Career Highlights - 2001
- Lost to Todd Martin in R4 of Australian Open.
- Won ESPY awards for Male Tennis Performer of the Year and Record Breaking Performance of the Year which brought his tally to 9 ESPYs, ranking him 3rd all-time behind Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan
- Pete seeded 5th at French Open but lost in 2nd round to Galo Blanco
- Pete seeded 1st at Wimbledon for eight straight year. Shock defeat to Roger Federer in R4.
- Lost to Andre Agassi in Mercedes-Benz Cup final.
- Lost to Tommy Haas in finals of US Open warm-up, Hamlet Cup.
- Enjoyed amazing run to the finals of the US Open becoming the first man to defeat three former champions consecutively on the way there: Patrick Rafter, Andre Agassi and Marat Safin were all efficiently dispatched before Lleyton Hewitt sent Pete packing in three on Sunday.
- Finished year as world number 10, lowest since 1989
- Talks of retirement bandied about; Pete states that he will leave on his own terms.
- By the end of the year, Pete splits up with his coach for 7 years, Paul Annacone. Taking over the helm was Tom Gullikson, twin brother of his former mentor who died of brain cancer.
Information compiled by Dalia King
More Career Highlights
Back to Bio & Career mainpage