Sampras Withdraws from Paris Open
October 26, 2000
LONDON - Pete Sampras said on Thursday he had withdrawn from the rest of the season's Masters Series, including the $2.95 million Paris Open.
"I will be unable to participate in the final two Tennis Masters Series events in Stuttgart and Paris and the International Series event in Lyon," the American former world number one said in a statement.
Sampras pulled out of the Vienna men's tennis tournament earlier this month, because of personal reasons, just days after his wedding to actress Bridgette Wilson.
He said he would still be contesting the Masters Cup in November.
I look forward to defending my title at the Tennis Masters Cup in Lisbon and will be well prepared to start the 2001 season strong in Australia,"he added. Chilean Marcelo Rios has also pulled out of next month's Paris Open, organisers said on Thursday.
Sampras and Rios will be replaced in the final draw by Czech Jiri Novak and Moroccan Hicham Arazi.