Career Highlights - 1990
Grand Slam Cup
- Upset Mayotte in a 70-game struggle in the first round of the Aussie Open on his way to the 16.
- Won his first tournament title in Philadelphia in February.
- Won the USO and became the youngest champion at 19 years old + 28 days. Seeded 12th, he defeated Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe and Andre Agassi in the last 3 rounds.
- In the course of the tournament, hit 100 aces. In the finals against Agassi, Sampras hit 13 aces.
- His parents were so nervous that during the match they went to nearby mall in California where they found out that their son had become the US Open Champion.
- Moved to the top 10.
- Won the inaugural Grand Slam Cup and donated US$ 250,000 of his US$ 2 M prize-money to charities fighting cerebral palsy, the disease which killed two of his father's sisters.
- Adjudged as the ATP Most Improved Player of the Year
- Did not get past the round robin of the ATP World Championships
- Ended the year ranked 5.
Source: BBC Yearbook
Photo/Newsclip supplied by Georgia Christoforou
More Career Highlights
Back to Bio & Career mainpage